Roche Canada is committed to working in partnership with our Canadian community to develop solutions to the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic
The SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) pandemic is impacting the daily lives of everyone around the world. We are isolated within our communities, we are exceeding the capacity of our health systems, and we are struggling to keep pace with the rapidness of the outbreak. But together, we can get through this. And together, we can innovate to make a difference.
Roche Canada is committed to working in partnership with our Canadian community to develop solutions to the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. To move this forward, we have established the Roche Canada COVID-19 Innovation Challenge – a funding program to support our community in bringing forward innovative ideas to address some of the biggest challenges and issues of the COVID-19 pandemic. Whether you are a biologist, data scientist, student, patient, or someone with an innovative mind and wants to make a difference, we need you!
Some examples of these challenges that need to be addressed include:
- How can we better understand disease biology, pathophysiology, transmission, etc.?
- How can we address our health system capacity issues?
- How do we enhance real-time information sharing?
- How will we effectively manage remote and rural populations (eg. remote indigenous populations)?
- How can we increase the education and awareness and promote healthy practices?
- How can we increase the participation and effectiveness of social/physical distancing?
- How can we manage productivity while distancing and isolating ourselves?
How it Works
Individuals or teams are asked to submit a proposed innovative solution to a challenge or issue that they have identified as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic by April 10, 2020. Some examples are listed above but you are not limited to only these. All submissions will be reviewed by a Roche Canada Steering Committee based on the following criteria, and winning submissions will receive funds to support the development of the innovative solution.
Winning submissions from individuals are eligible for funding of up to $50,000* per program, and team submissions are eligible for funding of up to $100,000* per program.
Each submission will be evaluated on five (5) equally weighted criteria:
- Clarity Is the challenge or issue clearly identified and the solution clearly defined? Are the rationale and objectives clearly stated?
- Design Is the design of the solution well thought out? Are all aspects of the program outlined in the proposal?
- Impact and Outcome What is the potential impact and how will it be measured? We will prioritize solutions with immediate impact to the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Feasibility and Applicability Can the solution be developed and implemented in time to address current challenges and issues of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Innovativeness How innovative and novel is the solution?
Please see the COVID-19 Innovation Challenge Official Rules and Regulations.
- Download the application form
- Complete the application in its entirety and submit it before April 10, 2020
- Submit your completed application form by email to: email@example.com
All applicants will be notified of their result by email by April 15, 2020. Winning applicants will be posted on the Roche Canada COVID-19 Innovation Challenge website along with the brief summary of their program as outlined in their application form.
* Total funds to be determined with winning applicants.