On Thursday, September 23, 2021, Life Sciences BC held the 23rd Annual Life Sciences BC Awards presented by FARRIS. This was an opportunity to celebrate the life science sector’s many achievements amongst peers, family and friends. As Canada’s fastest-growing life sciences sector, our British Columbia ecosystem has never been stronger seeing unprecedented momentum in scientific discovery, innovation, and attraction of capital and talent. In addition, BC life science innovation has been at the forefront of the global response to COVID-19. The Life Sciences BC Annual Awards event acknowledges and honours the efforts of all those who have invested their life’s work in advancing successful health innovations.
The awards recognized the achievements of individuals, companies and organizations that have had success in endeavouring to advance discoveries from bench to bedside. At the center of the life sciences sector is improving the lives of patients.
The 23rd Annual Life Sciences BC Awards was presented by FARRIS.
The 2021 Life Sciences BC Award Winners:
- Life Sciences Company of the Year – AbCellera
- Medical Technology Company of the Year – Kardium
- Deal of the Year –Aurinia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Strategic Life Sciences Partner of the Year – Novateur Ventures
- Emerging Life Sciences Company of the Year – Notch Therapeutics
- Milton Wong Award for Leadership – Northview Ventures: Doug Janzen
- Dr. Don Rix Award for Achievement in Life Sciences – Dr. Helen Burt
- Genome BC Award for Scientific Excellence – Dr. Michael Russello
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research – Aubrey J. Tingle Prize – Dr. Ruth Grunau
BC Life Sciences innovation has been globally recognized for addressing the unique challenges that arose as a result of the pandemic. Through collaboration between academic and research institutions, local SME and global pharmaceutical companies, we saw BC take a leadership role in the development of vaccines, therapeutics, medical devices and diagnostics, and digital health solutions. While many BC companies and individuals have contributed greatly, Life Sciences BC would like to recognize the extraordinary efforts made within our sector with two special awards that celebrate leadership.
- Global Impact Award: Company – Acuitas Therapeutics
- Leadership Impact Award: Individual – Dr. Mel Krajden, BC Centre for Disease Control