- This event has passed.
4th Annual Medical Device Playbook
May 23, 2018
Medical Device Playbook is Canada’s premiere event for medical device professionals. The 4th annual Playbook returns to the Vancouver Terminal City Club on May 23, 2018.
Industry speakers and panels from British Columbia and across North America will discuss what it takes to achieve this year’s theme: Dream a Bigger Dream.
Network and learn 2018 trends, opportunities, and strategies. Hear Medtech Entrepreneur Case Studies, Human Factors Insights, and Clinical/Regulatory advice from industry veterans including:
- STAN LAPIDUS, Director of numerous public and private medical device and diagnostics companies – Denver, Founded and led two of the most successful (>$2Bn value) diagnostics companies of all time
- MITCH LEVINSON, Co-Founder, President and CEO at Cerebrotech – San Francisco, CEO/CSO of Coolsculpting system and device
- VIRGINIA A. LANG, President and Chief Scientist, HirLan, Inc. and HirLan International SA – Carlsbad CA, Human Factors Pioneer
- MIKE TOTTERMAN, CEO and co-founder of Clerio Vision – Rochester NY, Co-founded iCardiac Technologies, and VirtualScopics; former principal at 3Com Ventures
- KEVIN STRANGE, President and CEO at Biolux Research, 20 Year veteran of Vancouver Medical Device Start-ups
- MICHAEL HOEY, Co-Founder & Chief Technology Officer, NxThera – Minneapolis, Expert in thermotherapy with 72 patents granted and 94 patents pending
- PAUL WEBER, President and Chief Executive Officer Perimeter Medical Imaging – Toronto, Medical Device Marketing, International Distribution, and Business Development Expert
- DOUG GOERTZEN, CEO, Kardium – Vancouver, Local SFU EE grad now leading Medtech start-up
- VESNA JANIC, Director of QA/RA StarFish Medical – Victoria, QA/RA expert responsible for 30+ concurrent medical devices and client companies
- SCOTT PHILLIPS, CEO, StarFish Medical – Victoria, Creator Medical Device Playbook
- DR. LESLEY ESFORD, President & CEO, LifeSciences British Columbia – Vancouver, Academia, industry and government leader supporting the growth of the Life Sciences sector
- CHRIS MACDONALD, Sales Manager, Canada MHS Business Line, TÜV SÜD Canada – Toronto, Global regulatory compliance expert
- ELAYNE WANDLER, Director, Programs & Partnerships Accel-Rx – Vancouver, Health sciences executive and Entrepreneur
- JAMES JACKSON, Industrial Designer, StarFish Medical – Victoria, Designed category leading products for Logitech, Olympus, Medtronic, Welch Allyn, Covidien, and Hollister
- 08:00 – 8:50
Registration, Coffee/Tea & Networking
- 08:50 – 9:00
Welcome & Opening Remarks
SCOTT PHILLIPS, CEO, StarFish Medical
- 9:00 – 10:45
DOUG GOERTZEN: Kardium – The journey of transforming a naïve idea into a commercial medical device
STAN LAPIDUS: Asking Better Questions – how asking new questions leads to the development of large businesses.
KEVIN STRANGE: My 20 years of Medical Device Start-ups in Vancouver
- 10:45 – 11:15
Coffee/Tea & Networking
- 11:15 – 12:30
Designing Your Company
MITCH LEVINSON: Cerebrotech: A company “designed” to survive an unforgiving financing environment
MICHAEL HOEY: Are you limiting your platform’s potential?
- 12:30 – 13:15
- 13:15 – 13:30
Afternoon Welcome & Opening Remarks
DR.LESLEY ESFORD, President & CEO, LifeSciences British Columbia
- 13:30 – 14:30
MIKE TOTTERMAN: Strategic Partnering to Support Medical Device Development
PAUL WEBER: Doing strategic partner deals
- 14:30 – 15:00
VIRGINIA A. LANG: Human Factors is good business — not an obstacle!
- 15:00 – 15:30
Coffee/Tea & Networking
- 15:30 – 16:30
VESNA JANIC: Preparing for ISO 13485:2016
CHRIS MACDONALD: Do’s and Don’ts of Medical Electrical device certification and testing
JAMES JACKSON: Are you designing for the correct guidance regulations?
- 16:30 – 16:50
SCOTT PHILLIPS: Dream a Bigger Dream
- 16:50 – 17:00
SCOTT PHILLIPS: Closing Remarks
- 17:00 – 18:00
ELAYNE WANDLER: Reception Welcome
Reception sponsored by Accel-Rx Health Sciences Accelerator