- This event has passed.
McCarthy Spotlight Speaking Series: The Science of Communication
November 8, 2018
On Thursday, November 8, 2018, LifeSciences BC held the fall McCarthy Spotlight Speaking Event.
Event Topic: The Science of Communication
- Megan Helmer, President, PR Associates
- William Johnson, Director, Marketing & Communications, Innovate BC
- Michelle Sklar, Director of Conferences, Cube Business Media
- Alexandra Weirich, Communications Lead, AbCellera
Trust in businesses, government and the media are rapidly declining. Because trust impacts reputation, it has become even more important now to present information clearly, making it meaningful and well-understood. Effectively delivered communication will build trust and credibility and inform good decision-making.
There are multiple ways available to communicate, but understanding the audience, choosing an appropriate communication channel and moulding your message for each audience and channel is vital for effective communication.
This session began with a 30-minute presentation by Megan Helmer, President of PR Associates, focused on:
- The what and why of effective communication
- Audience analysis and audience-centered communication
- Barriers to effective communication and how to overcome them
- How to incorporate storytelling
A panel of the life sciences industry’s top communication professionals then discussed additional communication recommendations and the light of their professional experiences.
Our McCarthy Spotlight Speaking Series is one of our longest-standing event series – and one in which our attendees see the most value. Held twice a year, these events start with presentations on specific topics by local representatives of LifeSciences BC members. Typically, the event is attended by a cross-section of approximately 40 of our life sciences community members representing mainly industry, NPOs, and Government.
In the past, the series has featured topics focusing on attracting and keeping good talent, technology and licensing, M&A and Capital Markets, to name a few.