LifeSciences BC Holiday Social
Our Holiday Social took place on Thursday December 7, 2018 with a full house at the Regis Room in the St. Regis Bar & Grill. A festive evening of networking among the LifeSciences community provided a wonderful end to a year full of educational, networking and social events hosted by LifeSciences BC and its member organizations.
LifeSciences BC Blakes Breakfast Speaking Event: Post Cannabis Legalization Opportunities and Challenges
On Thursday, November 22, 2018, at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver, we hosted the Blakes Breakfast Speaking Event with the featured topic: ‘Post Cannabis Legalization Opportunities and Challenges’. The event featured five presentations and a panel discussion featuring top legal and industry professionals sharing their recommendations in light of their professional experiences.
- Jamie Brown, Vice Chairman & Managing Director, CANACCORD Genuity
- Damian Kettlewell, Chair, Founder & CEO, BlissCo Cannabis Corp
- Chris Nyberg, Associate, Blakes LLP
- Dan Sutton, CEO, Tantalus Labs
- Chris Wagner, CEO, Emerald Health Therapeutics
LifeSciences BC Showcase Series: Kelowna
On Tuesday, November 20, 2018, at the Delta Grand Okanagan, we hosted the Showcase Series in Kelowna. This event allowed people the unique opportunity to learn more about LifeSciences BC along with the cutting-edge research and development being done in the Kelowna area. The event had a wide range of guests from the political, business and academic worlds.
- Andrew Booth, Chief Commercial Officer, STEMCELL Technologies
- Lynda Brown-Ganzert, Founder & CEO, Curatio
- Dr. Lesley Esford, President & CEO of LifeSciences BC
- Dr. Kathleen Martin Ginis, Professor, UBC Okanagan & Founding Director, SCI Action Canada
- Dr. Jonathan Little, Associate Professor, UBC Okanagan & Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research 2017 Scholar
NRC’s Human Health Therapeutics Programs Recharge
On Friday, November 16, 2018, the National Research Council Canada (NRC) presented on their Health Challenge Program. The NRC presented on the program to engage discussions on the collaborative opportunities for it focusing on disruptive technologies applied to next generation of engineered cell and gene therapies.
- Eileen Raymond, Business Advisor, Business Management Support unit, NRC
- Dr. Lynne LeSauteur, R&D Director, Downstream Processing and Analytics, and Program Leader, Biologics and Biomanufacturing, NRCr. Victor Dzau, President, National Academy of Medicine
- Dr. Simon Drouin, Team Leader, Applied Genomics, NRC
- Dr. Danica Stanimirovic, Director of Translational Bioscience Department and Interim Program Director, NRC Health Challenge Program
2018 Canada Gairdner Public Lecture Series
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018, at Science World, we partnered with the Gairdner Foundation and Science World to present the ‘2018 Canada Gairdner Public Lecture Series: Vancouver presented by TELUS Health’. The event featured an interactive exhibitor display showcasing the best of the life sciences industry in British Columbia followed by a public lecture titled: ‘Precision Medicine – How science is changing the future of healthcare’.
- Dr. Janet Rossant, President & Scientific Director, Gairdner Foundation
Chief of Research Emeritus, SickKids Research Institute
- Dr. Victor Dzau, President, National Academy of Medicine
McCarthy Spotlight Speaking Series: The Science of Communication
On Thursday, November 8, 2018, at the McCarthy Tetrault offices, we hosted the LifeSciences BC fall McCarthy Spotlight Speaking Event with the featured topic: ‘The Science of Communication’. Megan Helmer from PR Associates gave a presentation that covered the what and why of effective communication and this was followed by a panel of the life science industry’s top communication professionals discussing additional communication recommendations and the light of their professional experiences.
- Megan Helmer, President, PR Associates
- William Johnson, Director, Marketing & Communications, Innovate BC
- Michelle Sklar, Director of Conferences, Cube Business Media
- Alexandra Weirich, Communications Lead, AbCellera
2018 LSBC Investor Summit and Health Bioscience Economic Tables Report
Luminaries that joined us from L – R: Dr. Alan Winter, Innovation Commissioner, Province of BC; Kathryn Hayashi, President & CEO, TRIUMF; Lesley Esford, President & CEO, LifeSciences BC; Hon. Navdeep Bains, Minister Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada; Karimah Es Sabar, Chair, Health Bioscience Economic Tables Canada and Gordon McCauley, President & CEO, CDRD. Photographed by: Aura McKay
On Thursday, October 25, 2018 at the Fairmont Pacific Rim we hosted the LifeSciences BC 2018 Investor Summit presented by Lumira Ventures. The Investor Summit brought together stakeholders in the healthcare innovation ecosystem for an exciting day of company pitches, panel discussions and a keynote address. Entrepreneurs told their stories and received feedback and engagement from a wide range of investor stakeholders including; angel investors, venture capital, corporate ventures and funding foundations.
Later in the afternoon we were joined by; CDRD, TRIUMF, BIOTECanada and the Hon. Navdeep Bains, Minister, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada to announce the Health Bioscience Economic Tables Report. The Report identifies Canada’s roadmap to a prosperous future.