Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute (VCHRI) is looking for a Communications Specialist to raise awareness about the vital importance of health and medical research.
Reporting to the Director, Brand and Communications, the Communications Specialist is on the front lines of planning and executing internal and external communication and engagement strategies to advance local and regional initiatives for VCHRI.
As a Communications Specialist, you will:
- Have superior written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills and is extremely detail oriented, capable of simultaneously managing multiple projects and client expectations.
- Have a flair for “productive innovation,” meaning you bring new ideas for content and communication approaches to the table, but uses intuition and a keen sense of observation to understand what will work for leaders, adapt on the fly, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Be the one who does it all – from original storytelling in newsletter articles, video scripts, speeches and presentations, to succinct operational communication in memos, briefing notes, web copy, newsletters and more.
- Provide input on communication strategies, but ultimately thrives on implementation, executing on the myriad of communication tools and tactics necessary to engage internal and external audiences on the issues, changes, opportunities and everyday successes happening in the world of health research.
- Have an outstanding public relations and customer service skills, with the ability to build rapport and trust with a broad group of internal and external stakeholders, and listen closely for insight about what clients really need in order to advance audience engagement.
- Attend team and campaign meetings, coordinate special events, conduct interviews and write original copy for numerous communication channels, and liaise with colleagues to assess emerging communication priorities.
- Serve as a point person by investigating and flagging potential good news opportunities, identifying emerging issues, drafting issues notes, and providing media escorts as required.