Gandeeva Therapeutics Inc. is a rapidly growing precision biotechnology company located in Greater Vancouver, BC, Canada harnessing the power of cryo-EM technology and machine learning to advance drug discovery and development at scale. Gandeeva seeks to achieve transformative societal impact on public health by revolutionizing drug discovery and by lowering the risk of late-stage clinical failures. Our unique and world-leading AI-enabled cryo-EM drug discovery platform combines deep biochemical and structural knowledge to target the most important protein sites and translates this knowledge into superior precision medicines for patients.
We are expanding our interdisciplinary and innovative team of biologists, chemists, microscopists, engineers, software developers and business professionals who work closely together in a state-of-the-art facility that provides a stimulating environment and reflects our inclusive and welcoming culture. Join us on our mission to bring new treatment options to patients by revolutionizing drug discovery!
We are seeking an exceptional, motivated Director, Biology to lead our Discovery Biology efforts. Reporting to the CSO, this person will help select, build, and grow our pipeline of protein targets and play a critical role in the growth of Gandeeva. They will support and develop a compelling biological rationale, define winning target product profiles, and support the cross-functional teams as they move towards the clinic.
- Provide strategic, scientific, and operational leadership to project teams to advance drug discovery programs from early stage to candidate nomination.
- Leverage knowledge of current and emerging clinical landscape to assess potential new discovery targets (key scientific questions, potential lead optimization path, translational/clinical potential, competitive landscape), guide new target selection, and develop translational and clinical strategies for existing programs.
- Work with senior leadership to develop, refine, and implement the research strategy with a specific focus on selection of development candidates.
- Responsible for broad biological drug discovery. Lead the team of biologists in the design, development, and execution of pre-clinical work to support progression of the programs.
- Manage Molecular & Cellular Biology, in vivo Pharmacology, and protein expression groups, providing scientific input, operational support, and mentorship.
- Collaborate with the cross-functional teams (chemistry, biochemistry/biophysics, structural biology, ADME/PK, toxicology, translational science, and clinical) to propose and evaluate novel target and indication opportunities.
- Contribute to translational science strategy and future planning for the organization.
- Drive programs forward in a fast-paced environment.
- Interpret, summarize, and present research findings at internal and external scientific meetings.
- Augment Gandeeva’s internal capabilities by leading engagement with CROs.
- Develop goals, budget, and staff projections for biology team.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Systems Biology, or related field with relevant post-doctoral employment experience.
- 10+ years of drug discovery experience with demonstrated success in drug discovery and development.
- Experience in drafting regulatory documents is preferred.
- Experience in working with CROs.
- Demonstrated strong strategic, scientific, and operational leadership in biology.
- Ideally has broad oncology expertise, with a strong understanding of fundamental cancer biology and insight into the current and emerging oncology clinical landscape.
- Deep understanding of classical pharmacological principles and the drug discovery process.
- Ability to critically analyze and interpret data, and effectively document and communicate results and recommend next steps.
- Assay development expertise, including biochemical and cell-based assays.
- Demonstrated creativity, innovation, and speed in leading programs.
- Proven track record in leading and managing biology department/teams in a pharmaceutical or biotech company, with ability to inspire, direct and manage Ph.D. Scientists, Research Technicians and Associates.
- Collaborative, team-oriented mindset with strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate with scientific and non-scientific personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Excellent attention to detail with strong critical thinking and decision-making abilities.
- Time management skills with the strong ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
Gandeeva Therapeutics Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. A highly competitive total compensation package along with comprehensive health benefits will be offered to the successful candidate. Come join us in beautiful Greater Vancouver!