Director/Senior Director, Human Resources
Xenon Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:XENE) – a biopharmaceutical company with operations in Vancouver, BC, Canada and Boston, MA, USA – is committed to delivering innovative medicines to provide a brighter future for patients suffering from neurological disorders.
At Xenon, we are advancing an exciting pipeline of neurology-focused therapies, with a particular emphasis on novel treatments for both adult and pediatric patients with epilepsy. XEN496 is currently being evaluated in the Phase 3 “EPIK” clinical trial in young patients with KCNQ2-DEE, a rare and severe form of childhood epilepsy. Late-stage development plans are also underway for our XEN1101 program, building upon the compelling data from the Phase 2b “X-TOLE” study in adult patients with focal epilepsy. We are also proud of the leading-edge science coming out of our discovery labs, with many early-stage research programs underway. In addition to Xenon’s proprietary programs, we have ongoing collaborations with our valued pharmaceutical partners. With a healthy balance sheet to support our growth plans, we continue to build a fully-integrated, premier neuroscience company with strong discovery, development, and commercial operations.
Our employees are smart, passionate, dedicated, and driven by their incredibly important work to discover, develop, and deliver new medicines for patients in need. Building and maintaining a respectful, collaborative, inclusive, and productive culture is a priority for us. We are looking for great people who thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment to join our team during this transformative time for Xenon. To learn more about job opportunities at Xenon, please visit www.xenon-pharma.com.
We are seeking a Director or Senior Director, Human Resources to join our team. The Director or Senior Director, Human Resources will be a key member of highly collaborative HR and corporate teams, have responsibility for a variety of Human Resource program areas and act as a Business Partner, providing counsel, coaching and support to assigned departments, employees and managers in the U.S. and Canada. This is a hands-on role with the possibility of growing a team in accordance with business needs.
The Director or Senior Director, Human Resources will have proven leadership ability in a fast paced, multi-jurisdiction environment and will interact with all levels of internal staff, as well as external advisors and suppliers.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Human Resources, this position will be located in the Boston, Massachusetts area.
- As HR program head, lead and manage in one or more of the following areas: recruitment (brand, marketing and candidate sourcing, selection, hire and relocation); performance management, competency modeling, learning and development; workforce planning and forecasting; and/or US benefits and employment law compliance
- As Business Partner, provide expert counsel to assigned departments in the US and Canada for all HR programs – workforce planning, recruitment, performance management, compensation, training and development, employee engagement and relations; collaborate with business and science leaders to coach and to ensure HR programs are optimally used by managers and employees to positively impact employee attraction, orientation, engagement, performance, development and retention
- Develop, facilitate and support new and evolving business systems and processes to enable rapid growth and change
- Act as a champion for Xenon’s culture and values
- Develop and maintain relevant Standard Operating Procedures and other policies, procedures and systems relevant to the department; and collaborate with Quality to plan and execute compliance activities
- Develop and propose short and long term goals for the department in accordance with overall Company and Human Resource strategies
- Plan and manage budget proposals and approved budgets in accordance with the Company’s strategic and operating plans and Finance policies
- Recruit, lead, direct, develop, coach and evaluate direct reports, if any, in accordance with the Company’s Human Resource policies and practices
- Act in accordance with Company policies, including, for example, the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and ensure policies are understood and followed by direct reports, if any
- Some international travel may be required
- Other duties as assigned
- At minimum a relevant undergraduate degree; MBA, Master’s in Human Resource Management or Organizational Development preferred; HR certification preferred
- 10+ years of experience in progressive HR management and/or a business partner roles in a public, multi-national company - preferred in life sciences/pharma or engineering/technology – experiencing rapid growth and change
- Deep knowledge of and experience with US employment, human rights and immigration laws
- Strong abstract reasoning and critical thinking skills, strong business acumen
- Excellent leadership with influencing, conflict resolution and collaboration skills; ability to build credibility and trust inside and outside of the Company
- Highly proactive, with a strong track record of delivering high quality results
- High level of empathy, maturity and sound judgment, ability to balance business needs with the role of employee advocate
- Ability to multi-task, propose and establish priorities in accordance with Company objectives
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and interact with all levels in the organization
To apply for this position, visit our job posting and click Apply Now to complete the application. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applicants, only those chosen for interview will be contacted.