Virogin Biotech Canada Ltd.
The Lab Technician is a key member of the Gene Cloning and Virus Production team, working closely with the Team Lead Scientist and other Lab Technicians to prepare, carry out, document, analyze and report on investigational research experiments. The focus of this role is on construction/production of plasmid constructs and recombinant BAC DNA.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Laboratory responsibilities:
- Drafts, performs and analyzes experiments under supervision using proper cell biology, biochemical and molecular techniques
- Communicates updates to the Team Lead Scientist and/or supervisor in a timely manner
- Conducts molecular cloning related techniques such as PCR, ligation, digestion, preparation for sequencing and transformation
- Carries out Bacterial culturing while demonstrating proper sterile technique.
- Performs DNA extraction from bacteria and viruses
- Maintains and updates catalogue lists for samples and primers
- Records accurate and timely records using lab archives by documenting and recording each step in an experiment
- Operates Autoclave equipment needed for experiments
- Prepares buffers
- Monitors, calibrates, maintains and cleans lab equipment
- Maintains a clean workstation and laboratory
- Keeps a detailed record of all reagents made. Accurate and detailed documentation of sample records is critical.
- Analyzes and compiles experimental data
- Prepares reports
- Creates and implements Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and associated documents
- Actively promotes safety and awareness in the lab, always acting in accordance with laboratory safety protocol
- Performs all processes in accordance with SOPs and Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- Techniques performed include, but are not limited to, DNA extraction, preparing samples for sequencing, bacteria culture and PCR
- Other duties as required
- Maintains up-to-date, detailed records of all experiments performed
- Adheres to all quality control rules established at the company
- BSc in Life Sciences, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related discipline
- Minimum one year of experience performing molecular biology or bacteria culture-based research.
- Demonstrated knowledge of molecular cloning
- Knowledge and mastery of general cell techniques, including aseptic handling of mammalian cell culture, transfection, infection in mammalian cells; prior experience in these tasks is a plus
- Experience with techniques including Miniprep, BAC DNA isolation, virus DNA extraction, PCR
- Demonstrated ability to apply to solve research problems with a high level of independence
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively exchange accurate information
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple demands and work efficiently under pressure
- Able to work in a demanding, fast paced, team-oriented environment, while maintaining a high degree of professionalism
To Apply: Please contact Kathryn Moore at email@example.com .