Interested in a career at Langara College?
Our employees exemplify Langara's values of excellence, collegiality, innovation and integrity. If you think this position fits your qualifications, we encourage you to apply!
Langara College is located in Vancouver, B.C.: applicants to postings must be located in BC or willing to move to BC to accept work with Langara College. Exceptions to this will be clearly outlined in the event Langara College requires work (or positions to be based) to be performed outside BC or Canada.
Research Associate, Applied Research Centre
Temporary (Fixed Term)
Tuesday, January 2 2024
End Date (if applicable):
Friday, December 20 2024
Reporting to the Manager, and under the guidance of a research supervisor, the Research Associate designs the experimental approaches for various stages of an applied research project, directs research assistants and/or students, and communicates the results to the research supervisor, thus contributing to the success of research programs and/or projects. The focus of the position is applied research work related to molecular biology and genetics, including use of typical sequencing protocols and instruments (for PCR, qPCR, SNP- and SSR-based genotyping), and related bioinformatic methods. This may include working with single or multiple stakeholders, single or several project deliverables, and the use of instrumentation.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree related to the field of inquiry.
- Minimum two (2) years of related research work experience.
- Considerable experience performing advanced research tasks appropriate to the field of inquiry, such as laboratory analysis, operate scientific equipment, and operate related software or survey tools.
- Experience monitoring and guiding research assistants and/or student researchers in an educational setting.
Skills & Abilities
- Advanced skills related to the field of inquiry (e.g. lab skills, programming skills)
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to supervise students and assistants and provide constructive feedback.
- Superior ability to work cooperatively with all members of the College community including faculty researcher, staff, and students and provide leadership in information gathering and analysis.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a variety of multiple short and long-term concurrent projects with minimal supervision and high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- General knowledge of the requirements to adhere to regulatory and College policies regarding access to, use of, and release of confidential information.
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Ability to physically perform the duties of the position and meet work performance standards set by the College.
- Aptitude to learn new software and/or hardware.
- Advanced computer skills and proficiency using computer applications such as MS Office applications, email and web browsers, and various related lab tools and software.
To obtain the full job description, please contact our recruitment team.
$35.26 - $40.57 per hour
CUPE Paygrade 26
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Monday, November 27 2023
People and Culture is committed to embracing, honoring, and promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We remain dedicated to focusing our efforts on creating an inclusive employee community that fosters a sense of safety and belonging for everyone. We humbly acknowledge that we are just beginning our journey, which includes engaging in our own internal learning and creating a data-driven action plan that supports the integration of EDI practice into the work of People and Culture and the work we do with employees and leaders. Langara College welcomes applications from everyone including people from groups that are experiencing inequity including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please contact us.
If you were a temporary employee with CUPE Local 15 at Langara College who has worked within the last five (5) months of the closing date on this posting, please contact our recruitment team if you meet the criteria for internal status (850 hours worked) as per Article III.7.g in the CUPE Collective Agreement. Please quote the job requisition title and number with your previous employee ID and last day worked at the College. Please do not email if you worked at the College more than 5 months ago or if you worked in a different union.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume. In addition, those shortlisted with international credentials must have their education credentials evaluated through WES (World Education Services) and provide Langara College, People & Culture document evaluation access for employment purposes.
We thank you for your interest in Langara College and for taking the time to complete an application. Only complete applications will be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted due to the number of applications received.
Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.