How does life work at the molecular level? Why do cancer therapies work for some people, yet not for others? How do we engineer novel nanomaterials to solve today’s biggest problems? With the support of an NRC IRAP award, ScopeSys is developing a revolutionary single-molecule imaging platform to provide biomedical, pharmaceutical, and nanotechnology researchers with the first simple, general tool for investigating these questions with the highest possible level of precision – analyzing molecules one at a time.
Our team is seeking a talented scientist with strong coding skills to continue developing algorithms and software for extracting quantitative information from single-molecule fluorescence images. The successful candidate will be an important part of the team that continues to develop and commercialize our proprietary technology, and will demonstrate strong entrepreneurial vision and drive.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the software team lead and interact with a multidisciplinary team of biophysicists, applications scientists, and engineers, as well as with ScopeSys’ business team and early-access users in multiple locations. This role requires a talented scientist or engineer with deep curiosity and a desire to understand in a detailed way how a new technology works. The successful candidate must be able to learn and understand our imaging technology in detail, and then translate this knowledge into, usable, repeatable algorithms and software. The work can be done remotely, in regular contact with ScopeSys personnel in our offices in Vancouver and Montreal.
Skills and requirements:
- Has experience in machine learning CNN models applied to image processing (PyTorch is a plus)
- Is interested in writing high-quality code and reviewing other people’s code with helpful feedback.
- Is a team player and has the ability to work closely with people of different skill sets and backgrounds.
- Work with the scientific and business teams to identify priorities.
- Develop custom analysis workflows and algorithms to extract quantitative information from single-molecule imaging data in an increasing range of applications.
- Integrate workflows into a comprehensive, easy to use software application.
- Work with internal and external users to capture and incorporate their feedback.
- Support existing users and rapidly troubleshoot problems as they come up.
- Excellent English communication skills (written and oral).
- Abundant curiosity and a desire to understand how all aspects of the technology work.
- Attention to detail and a bias towards perfection in all deliverables.
- Responsibility and initiative, but also willingness to seek help and input at the right time.
- Ability to travel to ScopeSys’ offices in Montreal and Vancouver as well as to customer/user sites, to collaborate and receive coaching from our team, as needed. (max 4 times a year)
Qualifications – technical, required
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or in a scientific field (Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics/Engineering Science, Physics, Molecular Biology, or Biochemistry) with experience programming/developing software.
- Experience in machine learning algorithms applied to image processing
- Experience in developing algorithms and software tools for automating analysis of experimental data, in particular fluorescence or similar images.
- Experience developing graphical user interfaces
- Experience with standard tools and techniques in software development and image processing, such as Python and OpenCV.
- A strong analytical mind and a rational and scientific approach to R&D and problem solving.
- Mathematical modeling and statistics.
- Previous scientific research environment or experience designing, conducting, and analyzing scientific experiments and data.
- Experience in life sciences research, molecular biology, biotech, etc.
- Experience with MATLAB, Jira and Confluence.
- Experience with source control methodologies like GitHub.
Please email email@example.com. Include a resume and a cover letter. Please include links to any relevant portfolios, projects, publications, patents or products.
ScopeSys is committed to diversity and equity in employment opportunity. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. However, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.