Senior Alliance Manager
Why Work for Us?
Innovation. Act with Integrity. Collaboration. Embrace Diversity. Care
We come from many countries, cultures, races, ethnicities, abilities and nationalities. We bring our passions including singing, biking, swimming, dancing, cooking, volunteering, parenting, coaching and much more! We are proud of our nearly equal balance of men and women and strengthened by our non-binary and transgender team members. Every employee belongs.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development an commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
About the Position
The Zymeworks Business Development and Alliance Management team is seeking an experienced and highly motivated Senior Alliance Manager who is looking to take their career to the next level within our growing company. This role will be responsible for working at the interface between our internal cross-functional teams and our strategic alliance partners, bringing focus and expertise to maximize alliance performance, advance our corporate scientific and business goals, and enhance Zymeworks’ reputation as a pharmaceutical industry “Partner of Choice”. This position will report to the Senior Director, Alliance Management and will be based in Vancouver, BC.
- Scope of Role
- Serve as alliance manager for partnered early-stage scientific evaluations and/or advancement of in-licensed assets moving from discovery through pre-clinical/translational activities
- Alliance Partner (External Focus)
- Effective alliance management between collaborating parties should yield synergies that promote and accelerate achieving business objectives, while upholding Zymeworks core values of innovation, integrity, collaboration, embracing diversity and care.
- Serve as the alliance primary point of contact and formal conduit between collaborating parties.
- Manage the day-to-day alliance activities, overseeing and facilitating joint governance activities and ensuring successful collaboration from initiation through execution of final deliverables.
- Oversee and support collaboration governance and operating best practices, including forming, managing and supporting joint committees and project teams.
- Understand and communicate what each partner brings to the relationship; provide insight into how each organization works internally to effectively synergize on operational execution.
- Track, monitor, and communicate contractual obligations, deliverables, and milestones to ensure agreement terms and responsibilities are upheld.
- Proactively identify issues or conflicts, working collaboratively to resolve and minimize crisis management situations; where required elevate matters to appropriate leadership or governance committees; ensure internal alignment prior to joint decisions.
- Implement processes to solicit partner feedback on the effectiveness of the collaboration. Help to identify and facilitate changes to promote more effective collaboration.
- Cross-Functional Teams (Internal Focus)
- Work closely with internal team members and senior leaders, and alliance counterparts to advance joint goals and deliverables.
- Liaise with scientific research teams. Participate in internal project team meetings as required to keep in sync with study progress or emergent issues; help stakeholders prepare for key partner engagements.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries/confidentiality between internal project teams and partner-focused discussions where required.
- Interface closely with business development colleagues and legal team to understand and clarify contractual aspects of partner agreements with the intent of providing guidance internally to team, committee members, and senior management; ensure appropriate boundaries are set and guide decision-making.
- Coordinate with business development, finance, legal, and corporate communications to facilitate proactive partnership management and ensure strong alignment and coordination of key business activities.
- Provide transparency to Zymeworks’ leadership and relevant internal stakeholders as to the status and progress of each alliance. May be required to present at executive levels and/or contribute to the preparation of materials for Sr. Leadership and Board review.
- Within the Business Development / Alliance Management Team
- Participate in later-stage review of new partner contracts and provide input to developing partnership execution terms, in particular governance structures and operational processes.
- Ensure efficient hand-off from Business Development team members following agreement execution as a new alliance is launched; maintain open communication across BD and AM during this transitional phase.
- Help establish and implement alliance management best practices using standard tools and approaches; ensure that alliances are managed consistently.
- Keep an eye towards continuous improvement; seek to identify and incorporate industry best practices.
- Share learnings across the organization; assist/mentor new or less experienced team members.
- Participate in relevant partnering and industry conferences to represent Zymeworks; contribute to fostering a positive company reputation.
- Contribute to realizing our BD/AM vision of developing Zymeworks as a Partner of Choice.
- Maintain “true north” of corporate mission, values, and goals, while also demonstrating strong intrinsic motivation and ability for day-to-day self-direction.
- Adhere to highest degree of professional standards and maintain strict confidentiality on matters that require discretion.
Qualifications and Experience
- Subject Matter Knowledge
- Graduate-level degree strongly preferred (Master’s, PhD, MBA) in biomedical sciences or other discipline related to life sciences and/or drug discovery. Bachelor’s degree required.
- High capacity for learning new subject matter quickly, demonstrating adaptability along career path.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in biotech, pharmaceutical, or related scientific industry; experience in oncology and/or immunology is desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years in a program management, partnership/alliance management role working with a diverse spectrum of external partners; career progression should demonstrate an expanding scope of complexity, responsibility, and independence.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Alliance Management
- Experience working with and managing cross-functional teams, including joint governance committees
- Possess professional demeanor with ability to command respect through exercise of sound business judgment and clear decision-making.
- Able to prioritize, maintaining focus and drive, amidst the noise of day-to-day challenges.
- Strong facilitative leadership abilities having demonstrated effective and diplomatic negotiation skills.
- High emotional intelligence, with outstanding collaboration, communication, and relationship management skills.
- Adaptive leadership style with ability to strategically and operationally flex based on changing circumstances
- Business Acumen
- Recognized as a proactive and strategic thinker with ability to see the bigger picture while keeping abreast of the details
- Excellent business acumen with demonstrated ability to develop solutions that support corporate and alliance objectives.
- Solid working knowledge of legal contracts and ability to interpret and communicate terms and obligations to stakeholders.
- Finance experience monitoring 3rd party contractual obligations, budget/invoice reconciliation and responding to audit queries.
- This full-time position, while not remote, may offer some flexibility between on-site and off-site workdays.
- Travel (<15%) may be required between Zymeworks offices in Vancouver, BC, and Seattle, WA., or to support key partner meetings.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity, please apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/zymeworkscareers/job/op00gfwp. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: Zymeworks values our relationships with our Recruitment Partners. We will only accept resumes from those partners whom have been contracted by a member of our Human Resources team to collaborate with us. Zymeworks is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited or are received without contract.