Cytiva Expands Scientific, Digital, and Training Offering in China
Recognizing the long-term needs of the biopharma industry in China and Asia-Pacific, global life sciences leader Cytiva has opened its expanded Shanghai facility. The facility is 11 000 m2, fully operational, and designed to help advance and accelerate the development of novel therapeutics. Customers have access to a wide range of technologies, solutions, and services, including Cytiva’s Fast Trak training center, a Center of Excellence for single-use technologies, and a new automation and digital lab. It is also home to China’s online experience center, customized bioprocess solutions labs and compliance validation labs.
Edward Zhou, President of Cytiva in China, says: “We can’t wait to see the innovation and progress that will happen in this beautiful new facility. Having the latest equipment and digital tools and capabilities for important scientific research will be a great draw for talent in the region. It also demonstrates to our customers that Cytiva invests to create future therapeutics to serve patients around the world.”
An opening ceremony was held on September 12 with representatives from customers, partners, and the local community.
Inside the 11 000 m2 new facility:
- An expanded Fast Trak training center that can train 2000 people every year, covering the whole biopharma process from process development to commercialization.
- A new accelerator for novel therapies that uses a biomolecule R&D and GMP pilot manufacturing platform and FlexFactory to facilitate the development and manufacturing of new medicines.
- A new space for automation and digital solutions that showcases Cytiva’s advanced equipment with digital and automated control platforms.
- A new online services center that highlights smart services enabled by augmented reality, virtual reality, and the Internet of Things.
- A Center of Excellence for Single-Use Technology (SUT) that offers innovation and validation services for new SUT product R&D tests, validation, as well as interactive training, to address the specific needs of local customers.
- Advanced and customized bioprocess solutions labs that design and deliver localized and customized equipment and services covering from process design to factory acceptance test (FAT).
- Compliance validation labs that support customers during their application for approvals from major regulatory authorities such as WHO, FDA, EMA and NMPA.
All the updated and expanded functions in the new facility aim to respond to the needs of the fast-evolving biotechnology industry in China, especially in talent training, the adoption of automation and digitalization, and personalized therapies.
Cytiva’s 2023 Global Biopharma Resilience Index, a survey of 1250 biopharma and pharma executives in 22 countries, highlighted vulnerabilities and room for improvement. Respondents are asked to rate their countries’ resilience in five key areas: supply chain resilience, talent pool, R&D ecosystem, manufacturing agility, and government policy and regulation. Respondents in China said:
- 59% hold that the country is somewhat adapted to supporting the rollout of personalized medicines and cell and gene therapies. 20% say that it is extremely adapted.
- 83% agree that the country is quite or very effective at integrating and making use of advanced digital technologies associated with Pharma 4.0, which brings a great competitive advantage.
- Manufacturing talent capable of working in GMP-certified or equivalent facilities, talent with the knowledge of supply chain management, and R&D are the top three categories that pose substantial challenges to the industry.
At Cytiva, our mission is to advance and accelerate the development of therapeutics. With nearly 16 000 associates in more than 40 countries, we’re driven to use our expertise and talent to achieve better flexibility, capacity, and efficiency for our customers. Our broad and deep portfolio of tools and technologies, global scale, and best-in-class service provides critical support from discovery to delivery, for customers spanning researchers, emerging biotech, large-scale biopharma, and contract manufacturers.
Learn more at cytiva.com
Original source here.