Xenon Pharmaceuticals To Provide Business and Milestone Update at
Jefferies 2015 Global Healthcare Conference
May 28, 2015 – Xenon Pharmaceuticals Inc.
BURNABY, British Columbia, May 28, 2015 — Xenon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ: XENE), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, today announced that Dr. Simon Pimstone, Xenon’s President and Chief Executive Officer, will present a business update, including progress toward milestones, at the Jefferies Global Healthcare Conference at 3:30 pm ET on Tuesday, June 2, 2015, in New York City.
Anticipated Upcoming Xenon Milestones
• Xenon’s partner Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. is conducting a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled Phase 2b clinical trial for TV-45070 in osteoarthritis. Results from the trial are now expected late in the second quarter or early in the third quarter of 2015. TV-45070 is a topically applied small-molecule inhibitor of the sodium channel Nav1.7 and other sodium channels, including those that are expressed in the pain-sensing peripheral nervous system.
• Teva recently initiated patient enrollment in a Phase 2b clinical trial of TV-45070 in patients with post-herpetic neuralgia, with results expected in the second half of 2016.
• Xenon’s partner Genentech, a member of the Roche Group (SIX:RO) (SIX:ROG) (OTCQX:RHHBY), is currently conducting a Phase 1 clinical trial for GDC-0276, which is expected to complete patient enrollment in the second half of 2015. GDC-0276 is a selective, oral Nav1.7 small-molecule inhibitor being developed for the treatment of pain.
• Xenon and Genentech’s second collaboration is focused on the discovery of novel pain targets in rare human pain disorders where individuals have either an inability to perceive pain or where individuals have non-precipitated spontaneous severe pain. A key goal of this collaboration is to identify new pain targets for drug discovery in 2015.
• Xenon expects to file an investigational new drug equivalent application to initiate a Phase 1 clinical trial of XEN801, a stearoyl Co-A desaturase or SCD1 inhibitor for treatment of acne, in mid-2015. If supported by positive data from the Phase 1 trial, Xenon plans to initiate a proof-of-concept Phase 2 clinical trial in the second half of 2015.
• Xenon expects to file an investigational new drug application for Xenon’s Nav1.6 sodium channel inhibitor for Dravet Syndrome in 2016.
• Xenon also anticipates selecting its next drug discovery target in 2015 by leveraging its Extreme Genetics ® discovery platform and expertise in ion channel chemistry and biology.
A webcast of the presentation will be broadcast live on the investors section of Xenon’s website at www.xenon-pharma.com and will be available for replay following the call for 30 days.
About Xenon Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Xenon is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company discovering and developing a pipeline of differentiated therapeutics for orphan indications that it intends to commercialize on its own and for larger market indications that the company intends to partner with global pharmaceutical companies. Xenon has built a core enabling discovery platform, referred to as Extreme Genetics ®, for the discovery of validated drug targets by studying rare human diseases with extreme traits, including diseases caused by mutations in ion channels, known as channelopathies. Xenon’s Extreme Genetics ® platform has yielded the first approved gene therapy product in the European Union and a broad development pipeline and multiple pharmaceutical partnerships, including with Teva and Genentech. For more information, please visit www.xenon-pharma.com.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and Canadian securities laws. These forward-looking statements are not based on historical fact, and include statements regarding the timing of investigational new drug or IND equivalent submissions with regulatory agencies, the initiation of future clinical trials, the timing of and results from ongoing clinical trials and pre-clinical development activities, our achievement of certain milestones under our collaboration agreements, and the plans of our collaboration partners and their interactions with regulatory agencies. These forward-looking statements are based on current assumptions that involve risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause the actual results, events or developments to be materially different from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control, include, but are not limited to: clinical trials may not demonstrate safety and efficacy of any of our or our collaborators’ product candidates; our Extreme Genetics ® discovery platform may not yield additional product candidates; any of our or our collaborators’ product candidates may fail in development, may not receive required regulatory approvals, or may be delayed to a point where they are not commercially viable; we may not achieve additional milestones pursuant to our collaboration agreements; the impact of competition; the impact of expanded product development and clinical activities on operating expenses; adverse conditions in the general domestic and global economic markets; as well as the other risks identified in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission and the securities commissions in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof and we assume no obligation to update these forward-looking statements, and readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on such forward-looking statements.
The Xenon logo and “Extreme Genetics” are registered trademarks or trademarks of Xenon Pharmaceuticals Inc. in various jurisdictions.