BC PNP Tech
Originally known as the BC PNP Tech Pilot, BC PNP Tech provides B.C. tech employers with the continued ability to recruit and retain international talent when local skilled workers are unavailable.
BC PNP Tech offers people in 29 tech occupations a prioritized pathway to permanent residency, and an opportunity to contribute to the Province’s shared prosperity and build a great life here in B.C.
B.C. is developing the highest quality local talent by introducing students to tech earlier, expanding tech training and education in post-secondary institutions and creating work experience opportunities.
Beyond accessing the skills and talent of B.C. workers, companies need to be able to attract skilled workers from around the world. Tech entrepreneurs and skilled workers from other countries can help grow B.C.’s technology sector, leading to more jobs for British Columbians.
In support of these priorities, BC PNP Tech has supported over 6,000 tech workers to be nominated for permanent residence since its launch in May 2017. BC PNP Tech helps ensure the technology sector can attract and retain the talent it needs to sustain and grow the sector further.
BC PNP Tech helps employers address their talent needs by providing a fast-tracked, permanent immigration pathway for in-demand foreign workers and international students.
BC PNP Tech Features
BC PNP Tech key features are based on service, timeliness, prioritization, and engagement in response to the needs of the industry:
- Service: A dedicated BC PNP concierge for tech employers provides tailored information and navigation assistance for immigration programs and processes.
- Timeliness: Weekly invitations to apply are issued to qualified skilled tech workers, minimizing the wait for employers and their prospective employees.
- Prioritization: Tech applications are prioritized during processing to meet the sector’s fast-paced demands.
- Engagement: Continuous support is provided to tech sector employers through proactive engagement activities and participation at key industry events.
Eligible BC PNP Tech occupations
The complete list of the 29 in-demand tech occupations can be downloaded from here
Technology companies hiring for occupations that are not eligible for BC PNP Tech are still able to connect with the concierge service regarding their specific needs.
BC PNP Tech job offers
If your employee applies with a valid job offer under one of the 29 eligible occupations, their job offer must be for at least one year (365 days), and the job offer must have at least 120 days remaining at the time of application to the BC PNP.
BC PNP Tech process
Your employee must first register to be considered for BC PNP Tech. The free registration process includes providing information about your company as the supporting B.C. employer.
We issue weekly invitations to qualified registrants who have valid job offers in the 29 key technology occupations.
In order to be issued an invitation to apply, both you and your employee must meet all program requirements at the time of registration. Meeting program requirements does not guarantee that your employee will be invited to apply.
We prioritize applications in the 29 key technology occupations. Once your employee submits a complete application, their file will be assigned within one business day to a dedicated processing team.
Processing times for 80% of BC PNP applications is 2-3 months from receipt. BC PNP Tech applications are typically processed in shorter timeframes.
Engagement and outreach
We will continue to proactively support technology employers and industry stakeholders. Program staff conduct outreach activities and provide individualized services to employers.
BC PNP Tech services are in addition to the benefits that are available to all users of our program, such as:
- pathways that don’t require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- work permit support letters for nominees so they can apply for a new work permit or renew their current work permit and continue to work throughout the federal permanent residence process
- client support services through email and phone
BC PNP concierge services
If you are an employer in B.C.’s technology sector, please contact the BC PNP concierge: PNPConcierge@gov.bc.ca
If you are an applicant and have questions about the BC PNP, please visit our Contact Us page.
For more information
- Refer to our BC PNP Skills Immigration and Express Entry BC Program Guide for information about our program criteria.
- Go to our process page for information about the registration process.
- Go to our invitations page for information about invitations to apply, including draw dates and the number and frequency of invitations.