Innovate BC – Innovator Skills Initiative
Get up to $10,000 to hire a new employee from an under-represented group.
The Innovator Skills Initiative provides up to $10,000 to help employers hire a new employee. The program helps under-represented people get their first job in B.C.’s tech sector and supports companies facing skills shortages to grow and expand.
About the Program
The Innovator Skills Initiative is designed to increase diversity in the tech sector and help B.C.-based businesses fill talent shortages and grow. The program provides grants to employers that are hiring for tech or tech-related roles.
The program aims to help more under-represented people get their first job in the tech sector by ensuring placements for under-represented people are available.
Employers will offer valuable paid work experience to prepare individuals for ongoing employment.
Employers can receive:
- A maximum of one grant of up to $10,000 per candidate per company to supplement a new employee’s salary
- Up to 10 grants for 10 different employees per year
Innovate BC will provide employers with links to resources to support them in recruiting, retaining, and developing employees who self-identify as under-represented.
Innovator Skills Initiative funding is available to employers through Innovate BC’s program as well as through partner programs including:
- Mitacs’ Accelerate and Business Strategy Internships
- Information and Communications Technology Council’s (ICTC) Work-Integrated Learning Digital program
- Application deadline: March 11, 2022
- Earliest hire date: June 1, 2021
- Latest hire start date: March 15, 2022
- Latest work placement end date: July 15, 2022
Find out more information on Innovate BC’s page here.