Apply to entrepreneurship@UBC’s CORE Venture Building Program
entrepreneurship@UBC’s CORE program supports UBC entrepreneurs (faculty, staff, students, recent UBC alumni) who are driving innovation through disruptive technologies, ideas and
trends. CORE works with entrepreneurs who are building solutions founded in tech and innovation, helping to develop their startup through practical business training and dee mentorship to launch ideas into thriving companies capable of shifting industries.The program helps validate and shape your venture’s potential, working with seasoned industry instructors, experts and mentors to catapult your venture into a scalable company. CORE is grounded in proven methodologies that hundreds of UBC entrepreneurs have leveraged to build ventures with unique and sustainable advantages in their markets.
Ventures in CORE are seeking development support and guidance in areas including, but not limited to; hardware, software, chemistry, biology, consumer packaged goods and technology applications ranging from AI and robotics to agritech, fintech, edtech, gaming, and many others.
You and your team will join other ventures to undertake entrepreneurship@UBC’s four-phased program, starting with 3 phases in the CORE Venture Building program. Each phase culminates in a selection process for entry into the next phase.
- Phase 1 – Business model hypothesis and customer discovery
- Phase 2 – Market validation and product-market fit
- Phase 3 – Venture Builder business model validation
- Phase 4 – the HATCH Accelerator, made possible in collaboration with the Institute for Computing, Information and Cognitive Systems (ICICS).
During CORE you will:
- Evaluate and articulate the value proposition for multiple stakeholders in your market,
- Understand an often complex industry ecosystem and path to market,
- Determine what makes your venture unique and valuable in your competitive landscape,
- Build credible business and revenue models,
- Identify and connect with potential customers, key stakeholders, and potential business partners,
- Build a viable and fundable start-up opportunity.
Throughout the program, venture teams are guided through company building by industry thought leaders and subject matter experts, which is further elevated by the participation of a range of experts drawing from our pool of 300 volunteer mentors from Vancouver’s innovation community.
As part of Phase 4 in the HATCH Accelerator, founders are supported by established Entrepreneurs in Residence (EiRs) who bring a wealth of industry expertise, broad professional networks and real-world business acumen to your venture-building journey. Venture teams in Phase 3 and 4 will meet on a regular basis with their EiR. The purpose and frequency of these meetings is to evaluate your progress towards your venture milestones and address any challenges that may arise.